Now it is much easier to educate technically, the Internet has opened hundreds of possibilities to learn, organizations like AVIXA, Cedia, among others, offer online courses at a lower cost than what we paid a few years ago.
Juan Tamayo *
To develop projects with expected returns, in which you can work with planning, committing the least possible errors or projects in which when connecting equipment, schedule and install do not become trial and error scenarios, you must execute plans of education within your company. As a designer I have had the possibility to be in several work fronts, I hope that the advice given in this article will help the development of projects.
Before starting, we must divide, but not separate, the work groups within the company. Remember that there are commercial staff who are the ones who sell the ideas to the clients and the technical staff who execute it. There must be the right channel of communication and knowledge of the development capabilities of each one.
It has happened to them that their installers say "I do not know how they sold this, if that can not be done". I generally recommend to companies that want to enter the world of the installation that they hire a person with experience in the subject to work in the commercial area or if the technical team is large, locate a technician in the commercial area as an advisor. Remember not to burden this person with work.
Training you should have in your company:
Before starting this differentiation, I want to clarify that I will not talk about commercial training, the sales process is directed by people who know the subject. These trainings of which I speak are based on the installation technique and the objective is to realize a technical growth of your company, to optimize the area of project development.
to. Commercial training in product for sales: This group of trainings help commercial staff to know the product that is being offered, its main objective is to associate the product with specific operational purposes. In several companies require the seller to learn the table of specifications of memory, believe that it is a plus at the time of closing the business. I distrust these sellers.
What these training should look for is to learn to read the specifications table to explain to the client what it is for and possible scenarios of use. For example, the contrast in a video projector is used to differentiate black, gray and white tones, the sensitivity of a speaker is related to sound pressure, among many other examples. Generally the manufacturer delivers this type of training.
b. Technical product training: This group of trainings help the technical staff to know the product, know how to install it, know the possible points of failure, how to solve the faults, what can be done and what a specific product can not do. This will help the commercial adviser to quote the project with the appropriate products, because the installer can recommend what and how to use it. Generally the manufacturer delivers this type of training.
c. General Technical Training: when speaking of general I refer to the installer or the group of technical personnel must be trained in topics that the products do not teach. For example, how to design the pipeline for a project, how to install the wiring, management of data networks, mechanical structures, reading plans, among other topics. This type of training the manufacturers do not, usually the staff has learned it in trial and error processes (self-taught) or have been trained by third parties, the latter being more profitable for the company, so the expense is punctual.
Why invest in employee education
There are several reasons for the investment, in many companies still consider it an expense, let's explore some benefits:
- The expense in the projects would be reduced due to technical errors. In some projects I have seen that by using the unsuitable technique in installation they have to resort to buying back elements to start the project.
- Be able to evaluate acquired knowledge to apply in subsequent projects and customer loyalty. Basically the experience that many clients seek is faster, the satisfaction of a well done project allows your client to hire you for post-sales as maintenance or new projects and additionally recommend you to other possible clients. A dissatisfied customer does not call you back and will speak ill of your service.
- Opportunity to open new business lines. Having trained personnel in several areas can analyze new lines of business. For example, if you only made sound, you can already think about making video, integration among others. Education generates evolution, and evolution delivers transformation.
- And finally, and I think the most important one is employee motivation. Many are afraid to educate because the employee leaves and that money is lost. I consider that they are risks that must be run, in many cases I have seen contrary situations, in which the educated employee generates feelings of retribution towards the company, he can deliver more because he receives from the company. An uneducated employee can cause the company not to generate sufficient profitability.
Now it is much easier to educate technically, the internet has opened hundreds of possibilities to learn, organizations like AVIXA, Cedia, among others, offer online courses at a lower cost than what we paid a few years ago, and at that time we had to pay a ticket , lodging and other expenses.
Additionally, manufacturing companies such as Audio-Technica have endeavored to deliver adequate and digested information. A few years ago the manufacturers sent the manuals and one as an engineer had to analyze how to develop the project, now everything is easier, they have engineers like me to explain how to use the products in the development of their projects.
I hope this information is useful for the growth of your company.
* Juan Tamayo is a senior applications engineer for Audio-Technica Latin America, with more than 10 years of experience doing audiovisual projects as a designer, integrator, consultant, among other functions. You can write to email@example.com